2010 PORTER RACING HONDA CR250R

2010 PORTER RACING HONDA CR250R

2000 HONDA CR125R

2000 HONDA CR125R

2004 HONDA CR250R

2004 HONDA CR250R

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Top-end Rebuild and Lunch for $200

Perhaps the incessant battle between two-strokes and four-strokes will never really end. There are die-hards on both sides of the issue, but should it really be an issue? I keep asking myself that question.

For me, I know I like the simplicity of two-stroke motocross bikes. Once every couple years I can spend several hours working on my 2004 Honda CR250R motorcycle and have it running perfectly after a top-end rebuild (I haven't ever raced, hence the "every couple years") and minor jetting adjustments. And a small stack of ten Jacksons ($200) gets me a new Wiseco piston kit and Cometic gasket set, two quarts of coolant (I use Pro Honda HP premix coolant), and I can still have enough money for a few five-dollar footlongs from Subway.

I typically do my parts shopping online, consistently visiting my trusty online suppliers, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC and Motorcycle Superstore. Between these two companies I can find what I need and want for reasonable prices. Rocky Mountain ATV/MC will even send a discount code with each electronic invoice for 10% off my next purchase within 30 days. Who could complain about that? Plus, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC is from my home state of Utah, which makes for quick shipping.

Perhaps my choice of machine makes me sound unwise, ignorant or even foolish. That's okay with me. I know the strengths of my bike and its weaknesses. Furthermore, I know my own strengths and weaknesses. Knowing these strengths and weaknesses helps me set my biking boundaries, and I'm comfortable that way.

My budget is tight, especially now that I'm married and going to school. I couldn't handle the steep cost of repairs tied into a four-stroke motocross bike. Granted, they may not need work as often as a two-stroke, but when they do need work it's a hefty financial endeavor. Not to mention their increased number of parts and complexity. I haven't even mentioned the weight issue, but that's not what I want to talk about.

Ultimately, my reasons for sticking to my simple 2004 Honda CR250R two-stroke are these: 1.) I know my bike inside and out, 2.) it's simple to repair and maintain, 3.) I love the hard hitting powerband and 4.) I didn't have to fork over beaucoup bucks to get it. When I did buy it in June of 2007 ($3,349.59), it already had an FMF SST pipe, FMF Power Core II silencer, Renthal Twinwall handlebars and black Excel Takasago rims. It was the package I was looking for, and I haven't regretted it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment